Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Activ-L patient organizes skydiving record! in the Main forums forums; I received the new Skydiving magazine in todays mail. It is always with mixed emotions that I thumb through it. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2006, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Post Activ-L patient organizes skydiving record!

I received the new Skydiving magazine in todays mail. It is always with mixed emotions that I thumb through it. It is wonderful to see and read about such exciting things, but it's also sad because I miss jumping so much.

The new magazine tells of a new German National record organized last month. A 156 man formation was built with only Germans. Skydiving is filled with records... largest formation built in the state, largest formation built at a dropzone.... believe it or not, largest all-amputee or all-deaf record. Anything to get a group of skydivers together for some serious and fun jumping is wonderful.

Let me tell you that organizing a big record like this is an amazing feat. The man who organized this record is Dieter Kirsch. Dieter received a 2-level Activ-L on February 17th, 2006 from Dr. Jochen Feil in the Atos-klinik in Heidelberg, Germany. Dr. Feil has over 2000 skydives himself. I became acquainted with Dieter after meeting Dr. Feil at the Spine Arthroplasty Convention in Montreal in May.

From an email I received from Deiter on May 17th:
Quote:
On monday the 15th of May 2006 I got back in the air! I made my first 4 skydives. with no problems. That was 12 weeks and 3 days after the surgery. I donīt take any painkillers and I donīt have any pain. Right now, it is allready hard for me to remember how it was, not to be able to get out of bed in the morning.
Dieter, congratulations!!! What an amazing accomplishment, organizing a successful blot like this!

I love exit shots:

Here is the completed formation:
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 12-27-2006, 08:41 AM

Post Pics

Kool Pics Mark!!!

Maybe we can get together a spiney jump and formation of some sort??? - I noticed that these pictures have mixed emotions when you view them.... Are we not allowed to go sky diving???

Fellow 2 leve replacement,
TTYL,
Poncho
Old 12-28-2006, 04:04 AM

Wow!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 04:41 PM

Wasn't anyone else told no more skydiving or bungee jumping?? I was? Different device?? I've never done it, so attempting it now didn't seem like something I'd fight for, but I just assumed that was a common sense thing. `Course, what's sensible about jumping out of a perfectly good airplane? Always thougth I'd try it one day, but I was willing to take the trade-off!
13 docs, 9 PT's, 8 Epidurals, 3 trigger point inj, 1 Facet Block, 1 Acupuncturist, 3 Chiros and 1 child later, had L4-5 ProDisc placed 9-19-06 by Dr. Janssen in Denver, CO. Facet rhizo March, 2007, November 2007, January 2009
Had healthy baby boy #2 in Dec 2008 with use of some meds during pregnancy and nursing.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Administrator

I just dug out some skydive photos... here are some wonderful days from my past life....

Back in the days before digital cameras, skydivers were experimenting with stereo cameras.
This photo was taken with 2 side-by-side cameras to provide different perspective. They
are developed with different shading and can be viewed with a 3-d viewer that makes the
skydivers jump off the background. It was pretty impressive at the time.

This jump was made out of the King-Air that was used for the movie Point Break.
I had to appear in court (not too far from the DZ) for a speeding ticket and stopped
by just to see who was there. (140-mph coming back from a skydiving event in
Phoenix.) It was lucky that I was not planning on jumping that day and didn't bring
my rig, which is predominantly royal blue. The one I borrowed matched my suit and
is invisible in many of the pictures... just a guy in a suit in freefall!

I love exit shots! I was a late diver out of the lead DC-3. This was a world-record
attempt in 1992. We completed a 2 point 100-way, but did not beat the record with
a 3rd point. I'm leaving the aircraft about the time the picture is taken and will have to
dock on the base that is building just about off frame at the bottom left. The glare in the
middle left is the reflection of the late-afternoon sun over the Pacific, about 30 miles away.

I'm at about 2 o'clock in the third ring, 1 to the right of the purple spoke...
black jumpsuit, silver stripe on my rig... long legs. On a jump later this day,
we had a completed 100-way going through a cloud... talk about intense.
The sensation of speed as we approached the cloud was amazing. Everyone's
realization about the situation made it the smoothest flying 100-way ever,
as all of our concentration levels were at their peak.

Last edited by mmglobal; 02-09-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Administrator

OK... here is my favorite! YeeeeeeHaaaaahhhhhh

Lots of questions... I must explain. When the picture was taken, I just stepped off the basket.
My left foot was on the basket, left hand on the bar up near the burners.) The camera is on the
end of an 18 foot boom being held by Bear. He's very famous for his balloon jump photos and has
more ballon jumps than anyone else on the world... by a longshot. He started skydiving in 1959
and has been jumping ever since.

Last edited by mmglobal; 02-10-2007 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:45 AM

Wink

Awesome pictures Mark. You don't seem the type though. In all honesty, the first time I spoke to you, you came across as more ballet than rock climbing and sky diving, and I was a little surprised to discover you were married. Now this... the shock of it all. I think I need some aspirin and maybe I should lie down. I'd better go back to character school.

Dale

(I mean no offence to any group of people)
Old 02-10-2007, 06:18 AM

Default incredible!

I wish I could feel what it would be like up there because it's really beautiful to see these photos and imagine people like myself only spinally improved up there doing such amazing feats! WOWWWW!!!! BTW, nice photo of you Mark!
Old 02-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Maria, the pictures really get me going because it brings me right back to those times and those feelings. Skydiving was a huge part of my life for a long time and I really, really miss it. I still have my rigs and believe that I'll jump again.

Mark
Old 02-11-2007, 06:00 AM

This is just really kool stuff Mark!!!

Hope to see more pics like this.

Poncho
Old 02-18-2007, 04:26 AM

Amazing pictures! I put the one with the hot air ballon on my screen at work and a coworker said, "that's an obvious photoshop job." NO WAY I said! Mark, you're a fearless soul, if I was up there I'd have a look of terror on my face.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Administrator

I saw Dr. Feil at SAS in Miami this week. He gave me this video of Dieter's first jump after his 2-level lumbar Activ-L ADR.

What did his doctor say? Well, that's Dr. Feil in the yellow jumpsuit!

Video: Activ-L patient returns to skydiving at 12 weeks post-op.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:26 AM

Default so why can't I?

Do I need a good spine to sky dive? or is the landing that I need to be careful about? Do you get whiplashed by the force of the fall? Extremely cool thing for a doctor to be doing~ would we see that being covered by an insurance policy here in the US???
Old 05-11-2008, 01:50 AM
Administrator

There are a few things involved in skydiving... none are too serious as there are a lot of old and out of shape people skydiving. First, it's physical.... getting the gear on, climbing in and out of the aircraft, practicing the skydive on the ground on creepers or just by bending over and going through the moves.

The skydive is very comfortable if you are relaxed. One big challenge is opening shock. You are in 120mph freefall and you deploy your parachute. If you have good body position and the staged opening of the parachute goes properly, opening shock is not too back... although you do decellerate rapidly. Opening shock on my neck is the only part of the skydive that I'm concerned about. If I jump, I'll wear a soft collar and I'll stabilize my head with my hand after deploying... should not be too bad. If you are not already an experienced skydiver, you can not have this plan... things happen too fast in skydiving and it takes a lot of practice to do it right... and some skill too.

If your parachute opens quickly or if you don't have proper body position when you open, you can get 'spanked' by a too rapid opening and too rapid decelleration. That's why they call it opening shock.

The landing is not problem for me... but it might be for you. I have 850+ jumps and have fallen down on landing maybe 4 or 5 times. For a tandem jump, most DZ's are pretty good about easy landings. If you go, I'd make sure that you only jump when you'll get a consistent breeze for landing... then it's a piece of cake. If you have changing winds or even zero wind landings can be tough.... although a good tandem pilot will not have a problem with it.

I have a friend who's son was very seriously injured on a tandem jump. Choose your DZ like you would choose a doctor. I know tandem masters who have more than 20,000 jumps. Go to a busy DZ with a PROFESSIONAL operation. Don't go to the DZ that's like the one in the movie Fandango.

Skydiving is a wonderful sport and I really miss it. I still haven't sold my rigs... don't know if I'll use them again, but they are still a big part of who I am (or was.)

Mark
Old 05-11-2008, 11:01 PM

Default hmmm,sky diving?

i used to be afraid of heights, and a lot of things, but now after my prodisc surgey, i have tried more things than ever before, although not sure i would trust my heart to jump out of an airplane, well, maybe so, hmmmmmm?
the pictures do look awe-inspiring!! maybe i'll just live this through you! hahaha
i have been considering a balloon ride, know anyone good in a balloon? maybe i'll buy a bunch of helium balloons and tie them to my favorite lawn chair, and off i go
gary
Old 05-12-2008, 01:23 AM

You guys are all out of your gourds! then again, it must be some rush.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:43 AM

These pictures are mind blowing and it seems like, as if, I should also be trying out my hand on this crazy thing.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Administrator

The post above is 100% absolute pure spam. The spammer has been banned.

Fortunately for the poster... I like this stuff and will leave it.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:56 PM

Default I just remembered

I saw the photos in skydiving links~ looks so liberating. Read what Mark posted months ago re opening shock. Tho before getting there if I can get the gear on comfortably I then read I have to jump and I'm pretty sure that I might not even make it up in the plane thinking I'm going to jump as I'm afraid of heights!!!!

So perhaps if I'm high on Versed or something (or in my dreams)~
Old 09-21-2010, 04:31 AM

Default way cool

i still think you and all your sky diving croonies are nuts, but it does make for some great pictures!! i'll stay in the plane for pictures thank you very much................LoL
After a botched spinal tap where my L4/L5 disc exploded i underwent a laminectomy in 1979, and ran from spinal surgery ever since, then in 2002 i met DrDelamarter in Santa Monica- and my life as i knew it changed dramatically, I consider myself the "ProdiscPosterBoy" I am in the US Trials and one of the first in California to recieve 2 Lumbar Prodiscs, nomorepain-nomoremeds
Old 03-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Administrator

I think skydiving is plenty safe. It's about the same as SCUBA and way safer than rock climbing (which I also loved.) I quit riding donorcycles early in my riding career because it is too dangerous. Formation flying fits in there somewhere and I'm happy with the risks and have loved to do it.

Watch the video below... it is intense. This guy will not grow old!

Jeb Corliss " Grinding The Crack" - YouTube

Last edited by mmglobal; 04-04-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:26 PM
Administrator

This has been posted on another thread... but since this one is about skydiving and other fun theings... I thought I'd add it here.

Indoor-Skydive-ROM-Test1.mpg - YouTube
Old 04-03-2012, 03:22 PM

Mark,
You called that skydinging. You think it is safer than rock climbing? Wow. I did lots of rock climbing and i was at times scared, but that is just beautiful and frightening!!!!
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot