Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss For Kirk, "OMG, I just played Soccer" in the Main forums forums; Kirk from ADR Support is having surgery in a few hours at the AlphaKlinik. I looked at his blog, http://...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 03:58 AM
Administrator

Default For Kirk, "OMG, I just played Soccer"

Kirk from ADR Support is having surgery in a few hours at the AlphaKlinik. I looked at his blog, http://kirksbacksurgery.blogspot.com/ and I see that he and his wife are very committed to their kids activities... specifically soccer.

I thought that they would enjoy reading what I wrote back in 2003 after one of the most fun and amazing times of my life. I was 5 months post-op from my 2-level Charite' with Dr. Zeegers at the AlphaKlinik. After 3 years of disability, I was back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal, February 15, 2003:
This is the day I dreamed of. When I sat in the Olympic stadium in Munich, less than 5 months ago, it never occurred to me that I would play again. I had bought a goalkeepers jersey, just as a fan. I was in so much pain. The thought popped into my head, I looked at my wife and exclaimed, "In a few months, I could play in this!" Until that point, I had never really considered that I might come back this far.
Well today, I had the indoor arena reserved. I invited my favorite kids from 15 years of coaching. Most of them are driving... many were off in the military or couldn't get off work. Even so, we had a nice turn out and had a blast.

I played keeper and played on the field. Although my skills suck after more than 3 years off, I did well... even made a few diving saves. I was able to sprint and work hard on the field. Much of the time I was fighting back the tears. I don't know if everyone knew what a big day this was for me. I have dreamed of this for so long. I really love the kids and the nice families that I've known for so long. It's been so rewarding to have been such a positive influence in their lives. They are like family to me.

Many of the kids know each other only through my soccer activities and haven't seen each other for years. It was great to see them together again.

Last Saturday, I took my son (19) to the drop zone. He did his first skydive. He thought it was his going to be his only skydive... something to do once, but he really liked it and talks about it all the time. After jumping, we headed out to Big Rock an Lake Perris. I didn't realize that I'd forgotten everything I'd ever learned about climbing, but we hooked up with some friendly climbers and had a great afternoon on the rock. Man oh man, was I sore the next day. But, it was a good sore from using muscles that I hadn't used in years. Nothing to do with my low back.

It will be a few days before I can update the website... I'll post again when I do.

Oh, yes... a week ago Friday, I played tennis with a woman who has a 2-level ProDisc implant. Her surgery was last July and she is now returning to competitive tennis. I had been afraid to serve, but she convinced me that it's in my head. I was able to serve 2 sets with no problems. We were joined for lunch by another 2-level ProDisc patient. We all agreed that it's like being on vacation, being able to enjoy our lives again. Interestingly enough, we all said that we had quit listening to music during our ordeals, but had started again after our surgeries.

I hope you are not all getting tired of hearing about how great I'm doing. Today was a very big day for me. This forum kept me alive. When I really needed help, you guys were there for me. I have made some very special friends here. No matter how great our friends and family are, there are so few who understand what we face.... I can't express how much you all have meant to me.

Pain free vibes out in all directions! Love,

Mark

------------------
See my new website:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mmglobal1/index.html

*** L4-5 and L5-S1 Disc Replacement (SB Charite III) 9/20/02 by Dr. Zeegers, AlphaKlinik, Munich, Germany ***

2/25/00 Microdiscectomy/laminotomy L4-5, 10x15x7 mm left paracentral protrusion

9/23/00 CANCELED L4-S1 360 fusion CANCELED

9/15/01 emergency microdiscectomy L5-S1, 14x13x10 mm left paracentral protrusion

Both discectomies helped with hip/leg/foot symptoms, but left the underlying back pain. Residual left foot pain and numbness. Lost axial reflex (left ankle).

*** The AlphaKlinik was wonderful. My expectations were high, but the clinic, it's staff, and Dr. Zeegers far exceeded them!!!

*** L4-5 and L5-S1 Disc Replacement (SB Charite III) 9/20/02 by Dr. Zeegers, AlphaKlinik, Munich, Germany ***
It took a while, but I found these pictures. (These were taken 5 years
ago today (fudging a bit because it's already the 15th in Munich!)

This was the Oliver Kahn / German National Team Goalkeeper's jersey
that I had bought at the UEFA cup game 2 days before my surgery.
I wish we'd gotten some of the diving saves on film... this will have to do.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org

Last edited by mmglobal; 02-15-2008 at 04:05 AM.